Search This Blog

Friday, July 2, 2010

Burning Up and Cooling Down

Bonjour blogsphere!

Woo! Like the Ladyhawke song, Paris has been burning during the last few days. While it is nothing like the 98 degrees and insane humidity my husband and I experienced in Washington DC last week, 90 degrees with light humidity can still be brutal when you don't have air-conditioning!

The bi-annual French sales also started on Wednesday, but sadly I won't be a huge participant this year. :-( With the big trip to the US, the upcoming whirlwind tour of France with Brandon and Nicci (can I just say that I will never be able to move back to the US because I would never be able to give up my six weeks of vacation?) and our plans to buy an apartment this summer, my shopping budget has been greatly reduced. But in a way it is good- if I stick to my intensive weight loss program, I will not be the same size next summer (my goal = size 6-8 US. In high school at one point I was a size 4, but that will be my stretch goal). However, I am in need of a dress for a wedding later this month... and some new gym clothes to inspire me to go to the gym...

Lapin a la Mode Tip du Jour

Even the most prudent sunscreen reappliers can get burned. This always drives my husband crazy when we go to Florida- he constantly reapplies his sunscreen and stays under the umbrella while I do maybe two applications and practically live in the water, and he is the one that ends up resembling a cooked lobster. For the most serious of burns, I like the traditional Elizabth Arden 8 hour cream, which they are now marketing as hand cream (Elizabeth Arden - Eight Hour Cream Intensive Moisturizing Hand..., $17). L'Occitane Verbena Soothing Body Ice Gel, $22 has a refreshing scent and feels lovely after a day in the sun. For a little bit of some extra self-tanning kick, I use Clarins Sunscreen Cooling Gel Rapid Tanning SPF 8 6.8 fl oz, $34. (Clarins, in my humble opinion, makes the best sun-related products, whether it is self-tanning, sunscreen, or after sun) I am also a fan of , $20 as I am known to burn my lips. Even if you are not the same color as a tomato, using after sun products and moisturizers (especially body butters) will help you retain your tan longer.

Click of French Culture
Unlike in the US where we load up our cars with lots of food, the French tend to only grocery shop for a few days at a time. They also tend to eat specific fruits and vegetables when they are fresh and in season. Summer means lots of yummy melons! One of my husband's and my favorite meals is melon with parma ham. The salty ham mixed with the sweet watery melon (we use any kind of melon other than watermelon) is just absolutely delectible! For a fancier recipe, try this.

And with that, I am off to the grocery store to find some melon and ham for our dinners this weekend!

A bientot!
-Liz Anne

No comments: