Search This Blog

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Aaaaaaaaaah! Mommy cut her hair all off!

For those who know me well, know I pride myself on my long hair. It has always been my sign of rebellion, the first thing I fought for. Until three years old, I shared the same Mrs. Brady pixie cut with my mom. I cried and cried and begged to have pigtails and wear cute ribbons in my hair and dresses! (Please note, if I have a girl, I bet she will be a tomboy like my mother to get back at me for being so girly) So, with the exception of a very unfortunate trip to the barber with my father at age 5 and an even more unfortunate chin length monstrosity I suffered in 8th grade, my hair has never been shorter than shoulder length since then and has at times been long enough to sit on accidentally and cause excruciating pain. Cutting my hair is thus a very very big ordeal that takes a lot of courage (and sometimes sedatives and/or alcohol) and must be done on a whim before I lose my nerve. It usually takes my ends being very broken and/or the need to sport a ponytail. This urge happens every 6-12 months. I often leave in tears, as I don't handle change well and have had some traumatic long haircuts (who can forget the Farrah Fawcet femlet gone wrong of 2002 or the "whoopsie" centimeter long bang that took forever to grow out in 2007?). So now I pay an exorbitant amount to get a haircut here in Paris and- knock on wood- have not had a bad haircut yet.

Today was one of those days when I decided it was TIME. I had planned to cut my hair prior to Raffa's arrival; however that never happened as I spent the last six weeks of pregnancy trekking to the hospital for tests and feeling like death. Heh. So it has been about a year and a half since my hair was cut last, and to say it was in bad condition is putting it lightly. The only way it has looked halfway decent during the last month requires me to curl it, which is a challenge for the mother of a very small child (although I have learned to throw Raffa in the carrier while I do hair and make-up when needed). However, I now have a small copilot to accompany me on any mission out of the house. Luckily my little Godzilla is the best behaved baby ever- he slept/nursed through my entire haircut and shampooing at the Galleries Lafayette. I also had a hairdresser who had children and understands the art of wrangling small babies when trying to accomplish things out of the house. Raffa also sat (and nursed) through a lovely Korean BBQ and bubble tea experience with Bear and I. Best behaved kid ever. It is really awesome to be able to go to restaurants with him and have no problems.

"AAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!! Mommy chopped a foot off her hair! Hehehehe just kidding mommy! You are beautiful to me and daddy!"

"However, I am not a fan of the skullet I am currently sporting. Please tell me I will get hair back on the top of my head soon?"

"Really? You are going to order food from this nice waitress? And I can have dinner too? Woooooo!"

"Mommy you really find creative places to change my dirty diaper! This tiny room is fascinating!"

"I love you mommy! I love being home with easy access to the boobies!"

"And now I will sleep like this for an hour because I love sleeping in odd positions on mommy's lap. Apparently this is how I chlled out in mommy's womb for the majority of 8 months..."


And now to give the batty bat his bath while fluffmonster pet whores himself on the desk, preventing daddy from playing his video game... :-) Love and face eating kisses!

No comments: