Search This Blog

Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Scent of Spring and Sunday Brunch

Bonjour blogsphere!

So, I started the treatment for my adrenal insuffiency on Friday, and I have to tell you, it was like a miracle cure. I feel like I've come out of a very deep slumber and all the cobwebs have been dusted off my brain. I have energy. I want to go running. It's bizarre, but I'm loving every minute of it! Let's hope it continues (and continues to inspire my gym trips!)... I had so much energy, that Thomas and I actually woke up in time to brunch! More on that later... :-)

Lapin a la Mode Tip du Jour

I have always been a fan of matching my fragrance to the current season. The picture above features some of my favorite scents to wear in spring. All of the scents are light and airy with a soft kiss of flowers. I have never been a fan of any overbearing floral scents, especially anything heavy on gardenia. I tend to go for clean florals featuring iris (Narcisso Roderiguez) or orange blossom (Escale a Portofino). I also like my spring fragrances to have a bit of an earthy smell to them, which is probably why I am obsessed this year with Philosykos. It is also probably the main reason that for the last 8 years, I have worn Issey Miyake's L'Eau d'Issey- it has a bit of a woody undertone to it, but it is a gorgeous scent and has amazing staying power.

Click of French Culture
Most vistors to Paris flock in droves to the Louvre and the Musee d'Orsay, but Paris is overflowing with many great smaller museums that not only allow you to avoid long lines but also have some great offerings. Today Thomas and I visited the Jacquemart-Andre Museum, which is just a few minutes walk from chez nous. (We see it every single time we drive to and from our apartment, and we've been saying for nearly two years we should go visit. Well worth it!) This museum was a gift of its former owners to the city of Paris. At the end of the 19th century, the area where I currently live (oringally called Monceau) was encorporated into Paris. All the buildings were torn down and big avenues were created and new houses were built (named after their architect, Hausmann). Many of the upper middle class and the rich flocked to this area and built townhouses as well. The original owners were art collectors, so there are a lot of beautiful pieces on display (including some gorgeous sculpures), but what is most notable is the architecture and the furniture, etc. in the house itself. The house is pretty much in its original state- so you get a great feel for what it is what like to live there. The most impressive part is the double helix stairway in the light and airy winter garden (complete with full skylight and tons of mirrors).

If you go, I recommend going for Sunday Brunch. The museum converted one of the rooms into a fabulous cafe so you get dine surrounded by sumptuous decor. In summer, they open up tables on the terrace as well, with a view of the small French garden and courtyard. The food is limited- there's mainly salads, pastries, and on Sunday a special brunch, but it is excellent. For more on the cafe, click here. For any of you who are lemon merengue pie fans, theirs is not to be missed!

Alright, the apartment is still not 100% clean and I can hear Thomas's stomach rumbling from here! Oy!

A bientot!
Liz Anne

No comments: