Search This Blog

Monday, March 1, 2010

Sailor Tops and St Lazare

Bonjour blogsphere!

One major benefit of our location (aside from the fact that I live in the middle of Paris's best shopping district) is that we live right next to St. Lazare, one of Paris's biggest train and metro stations. I can get to practically anywhere in the city without having to change metros more than once, and there is a line that is a straight shot to my office. Monday, I was finally motivated to actually shed my pj's before noon and head to the office. I was all proud of myself for being ready to head out the door by 8:15, hoping to pounce on my e-mails before 9. When I entered the crowded station, I realized that it was the first day of the month, ie the day all of Paris recharges their metro pass and I too would have to brave the lines because I was out of one way tickets. Thank goodness I had made a last minute shoe switch and was not wearing my highest Jimmy Choo booties that are the kind of shoes meant to be stood in for five minute intervals only!

Lapin a la Mode Tips du Jour



Today's collection is inspired again by my vintage shopping- Fripes Star had a massive garbage bag full of blue and white sailor tops for 1€. I have always liked the nautical look, and was really excited last year when D&G had a decidedly maritime spring collection. I am still kicking myself for not buying the dress in the picture- it was nearly what I wore to my legal wedding (although I have to say the Jean Paul Gaultier dress was perfect- it matched the decor of the Mairie, the town hall we were legally hitched in. Plus, the legal ceremony took place in March, and it was not exactly halter dress weather...).

Today's makeup tip- if you are tired, bronzer is one of the best ways to perk up your visage. Bronzer adds a bit of natural flush and glow to your skin without looking unnatural like some hues of blush. If you are low maintenance, you can use it instead of pressed powder for a quick pick me up midday. The key to application is to essentially make a W; go down the cheekbone, up to the nose, and down and up the other cheekbone. My bronzer of choice is Chanel's; I have used it for years, and it is one of the few items I consistently buy. Their choice of shades also tends to veer away from the orange tinge some bronzers have. I also like bronzers by Borghese and Lancome.

I have become decidedly obsessed with Proenza Schouler bags recently. I don't know the reason why, but their aesthetic really appeals to me. I horribly picky about purses, so being enamoured by one is particularly rare. Too bad I can't stomach the price tag right now.... But I can dream... (Also, I have not really seen Proenza Schouler here in Paris- maybe that will be one of my next shopping missions)

Click of French Culture

The classic blue and white stripe nautical shirt has its origins in the Normandy region of France. During the latter part of the 1çth century, recruits to the French navy wore the blue and white striped shirts during their training period, while sailors would wear blue and white striped sweaters (Officers got all blue sweaters). Saint James, a company named after its town of origin in Normandy, began mass producing these sweaters in the late 1800s. When visiting the region, Coco Chanel fell in love with the look, and began wearing one of the blue and white t-shirts, feminizing it a bit with ribbons. To read more about the history of these shirts, click here. Saint James is still alive and kicking today, with Angelina Jolie as a recent spokesmodel for the brand. Click here to visit their website.

All right, it is time to boot up the work computer and dive into more e-mail. Yippee.

A bientot!
-Liz Anne

No comments: