Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

French Administration: the Customer is Never Right

Bonjour readers,

Every expat living in France (as well as most French people) has a story or two about the trials and tribulations of dealing with the French administration. There is nothing quite like the French administration. You never really know what documentation they will decide they need, or if they are giving you the full instructions. Also, keep in mind that every individual public servant has their own interpretation of the law and the necessary documents which you need to provide. Depending on the person (and the person's mood), the French administration can be incredibly nit-picking. Also, bear in mind that no amount of crying, cajoling, screaming, table banging, or threatening will change the mind of these dear civil servants, so it is best to bite your lip, sigh, and give in to their demands. Otherwise, the situation will only get worse.

Today, in my never-ending quest for a permanent resident card- Carte de Sejour- I had an appointment with the prefecture. Even though the immigration lawyers and the people at the first phase of our application process found the documentation with our names, address, and bank account details perfectly fine as proof of our joint bank account (I'm legally married), today's public servant decided that it was necessary to have a copy of the actual bank contract along with statements for the last three months. Translation, I have to go back again tomorrow. YIPPEEE. It does give me a way to get out of a horrendously boring teleconference tomorrow, so I shouldn't complain TOO much. ;-) And this is not nearly as painful as what I went through in an attempt to get the CAF allowance when I was a student (10 trips to four different offices and twelve different forms later, I discovered that I did not in fact qualify) or what some of my other acquaintances have told me.

Lapin a la Mode Tip du Jour:
Even though we may be constantly warned about the threat of skin cancer and the sun's violent rays, many of us women will still be baking in the sun this summer, working on the perfect shade of bronze. However, even with proper sunscreen (ahem), there are times when even the most careful of us turn a delicate shade of lobster red. Don't worry, dear readers, there is relief! I personally never go to the beach without my Clarins Ultra Soothing After Sun Gel. It really cools down my skin and prevents unwanted peeling. In the case that I do burn badly (usually caused by an accidental nap), I always keep a tube of Elizabeth Arden's Eight Hour Cream handy. It's a classic product created in 1930 which is great for healing burns, abrasions, chapped lips, etc. There's a reason why it is still around after all these years!

Click of French Culture:
Most tourists to Paris visit Notre Dame and the Sacre Coeur; however, Paris is peppered with myriads of grand cathedrals and churches. One of my personal favorites is the Madeleine. The church itself is quite impressive both inside and outside, and sits atop one of my favorite streets in Paris- Rue Royale- home to some of the best shopping in Paris. Today's click of French culture is also inspired by current craving for Madeleine cakes, a yummy treat! Even if you're not in France, you can make your own at home.

A bientot readers!
-Liz Anne

No comments: