Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Prince Charming and the Cleaning Demons

Bonjour blogsphere!

Today, I want to start off by saying I really and truly have the perfect husband. Case in point, this weekend, I went to Printemps with a friend to cruise the very end of the sales. As my wardrobe is bursting through the seams with pretty little dresses (I have a collection which would be the envy of many a Stepford Wife), I resisted the temptation to browse the dregs of clothing, but fell prey to the temptress known as the shoe section. Jimmy Choo just happened to have TWO beautiful pairs of shoes (last pairs, in my size!)- a fabulous pair of stiletto bootie sandals in black with bronze gromits and a classic pair of deep red patent leather mary janes (with stiletto, of course!). How could a girl possibly choose between two such amazing pairs which were on SALE FOR HALF PRICE?! It was the classic conundrum- did I need the unique and slightly trendy booties (keep in mind that EVERYONE is showing booties this fall), or did I want the classic/never out of style perfect red shoes? As we are saving to purchase an apartment, I couldn't decide which pair of shoes I could live without. So, I called my husband. He laughed and told me to GET BOTH, if it makes me happy, and that we could more than afford it. How perfect of a man is he?

Meanwhile, I've been possessed by all kinds of cleaning demons, which I will use as an excuse for my lack of recent postings. As we live on the ground floor, and France windows have bars instead of screens, I had the unfortunate experience of watching a cockroach come in through the window. Somewhere between screaming profusely, attacking the miscreant with heavy duty hairspray (in lieu of bug spray) and watching the roach succumb to the fumes of the hairspray, I made the resolution to further clean our cozy apartment (as well as coat the window bars with roach spray on a regular basis so none of those horrible pest will try to come in). It's been good, as my mania has inspired my husband and I to clean out our drawers and closets...

Lapin a la Mode Tip du Jour
So. I've been lacking in the sleep department again, probably due to nightmares related to the roach sighting. One trick for getting tired, red eyes to look brighter is to use a blue eyeliner, especially inside the lower lashline. My personal favorite is Lancome's black lapis Le Crayon Khol as it is relatively waterproof and an amazing shade.


Click of French Culture
Most of France goes on vacation during the month of August, so like the world of fashion, the year pretty much begins in September. In France, workers legally get at least five weeks of vacation along with scads of holidays, so many people actually take the entire month of August off (or a massive portion of it). France also has a 35 hour work-week, with no overtime allowed for many positions (including mine). For those of us who work more than our 35 hours, we accrue some additional vacation in lieu of overtime pay. For an interesting article on the subject, click here.


A bientot!
-Liz Anne

No comments: